Friday, November 7, 2014

The holy Grail.. SMBNETFS

Ok campers.  I found that ubuntu 14.04 and the wine package that is standard in the repository work just dandy with Avimark through the network to either a Windows 7 acting as server, or a linux server using samba.

Only trouble was.. no persistance.    I had to navigate through the file browser, and invoke avimark.exe from there.  Not very friendly for the end user.

I tried permanantly mounting a file share through cifs, which gave me a local directory that was linked to the server shared directory, and this worked for access on a linux box, but alas.. when I tried it to access win7, I ran every permutation of file permissions, and I could not get a fully functional avimark to run on a cifs mount.

Scouring the web revealed smbnetfs.  I loaded it and a simple one line command in the terminal, which should be able to be issued from a script mounts the share to the directory of your choice, and you can navigate there either from the file browser, or more importantly from the command line.

to invoke you just open a terminal (or create a script)
the command is  smbnetfs //home/jtw/win

where //home/jtw/win is the directory where you want your network neighborhood to appear and be accessable.  It should go without saying that the directory actually has to exist first before you try to mount the network there. 

once you can get there from the command line, you can write a bash script to start avimark.

I copied and hijacked one of the application icons, (open office) ctrl c  ctrl v, right clicked and replaced it's startup command with one that invokes my script, and replaced the graphic with a little penguin in a doctors coat for my new linux avimark icon.

Net result is an ubuntu 14.04 machine that can run peer to peer and have a persistant link to the server, and have a simple icon for the end user to start avimark, just like in windows. 

You do have to have your password protected sharing turned off on the windows 7 machine, or you may get a message that you cant load the directory.

No comments:

Post a Comment