Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I must be one lucky schmuck

A few years back, I invested in some N computing thin clients, that divvie up a windows xp computer into multiple user desktops, for a couple hundred a pop, and running silently with only 5 watt power consumption.

Fast forward a few years, and microsoft got smart, and updated their user agreement in vista and win7, so that even though the technology works still, you need to buy licenses for each session to stay legal.  They also work with windows server, but you have to choose between regular terminal services, or ncomputing devices, as both wont work together on one server.

LINUX TO THE RESCUE.   It seems that the n computing devices are happy as a clam to work with ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.  I was able to log on from rdp and ncomputing at the same time with no ill effect,  so I wont have to replace my terminals.   They deliver a nice linux desktop environment to each user, totally isolated from the other.

So I will wait until after some scheduled travel, and then bring the 64 bit machine online at work. And go linux on the thin clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment