Saturday, February 9, 2013

3 weeks and no explosions

Biggest accomplishment this week, was figuring out the intracacies of the dymo drivers for linux.   We have at least 3 flavors of dymo printer, but once you get the counterintuitive settings right, its all good.

Also had one document that wouldnt merge right, but it turns out it was something hidden in the document itself as a fresh copy with the same merge words works.

I created some more user accounts, and have had as many as 8 rdp sessions live with no slowdown apparent.   This is with the server also hosting a virtual machine that runs my pacs system.   Got a couple of error messages on one terminal that had admin rights when ubuntu popped up that it wanted to update but overall a very stable environment, stable log ins and log outs.   I even did a few experimental setting things on the main machine that kludged it desktop session, but everything else just kept running, even when I logged in and out of the main administrative account.

I will probably roll out a couple more sessions next week, and then hopefully convert the thin clients over.

3 of the machines are in the lab, pharmacy area, one of the busiest places in the clinic.   No crash, no hiccup.

I also found out that ncomputing now has server software that should work natively in linux, just updated to Ubuntu 12.04, which is what i am running,so I will probably play with that and see if it peacefully coexists with the other rdp sessions.   I know that on a windows server, you have to choose either or..  Rdp, or ncomputing vspace...  It looks like vspace for linux uses lightdm display manager, so I am hopeful.

I am also recreating and documenting my footsteps on a fresh install, to make sure I can replicate this experiment, in an organized straight forward fashion, because there were many dead ends along the way.

If I can figure out a way to have a bogus research database, without real clients,  I might be inclined to put a demo machine online for the curious to log in to.

No comments:

Post a Comment