Monday, November 28, 2016

Confession.

I literally had almost forgotten the blog.. till I got an phone call with some questions today.

I ran on ubuntu/x11rdp/wine from the last blog entry till this summer, and with the usual occasional printer trouble or other network issues that everyone has occasionally, we just soldiered on.. I believe the server was still 12.04..

Then my main hard drive started getting flakey.. a few bad sectors... some hangs, and of course, during the busy time of year. 

I didn't have a recent clone with all my account info, and such loaded, so I created a quick new machine running ubuntu 14...

Ran the x11rdp script, prepped the machine, and transferred over the avimark operations to the new server.. and it worked... mostly.... sort of.

Something was different with the file permissions setup, and I was having trouble particularly with attachments being moved into the avimark directory and being available to all users.   Tried multiple things, but working on a production system in the busy time of the year just wasn't a great time.

I had migrated the emergency clinic to a windows server a few months earlier, and I bit the bullet, and loaded a copy of server2012r2 onto a new machine.  Ran for a while plain vanilla, but wasn't real happy with the speed.    Ran client/server avimark and was happier with the speed.

Short story.. I bailed..  I am not going to live forever, so I put the E clinic on 2012... so if I get hit by a car.... they are OK.

Once I had the learning curve down, it was much simpler (although more expensive) to make the leap back to Msoft.

I still use a linux box as my ssh gateway, and also as my personal desktop.  I use several other linux boxes to run rdp sessions off the Windows server. 

I may take some time this winter to look at another xwindow multi desktop sharing model called xtogo under linux.   Also may pound out the file sharing difficulties on a machine that I am not using for real work at the same time.

Still available for questions, but for the time being, I do not have a linux rdp setup running in actual business environment.   Just ran out of time when the server hard drive got boggy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment