Tuesday, November 11, 2014

OK I finally got there, How I saw the light

No combination of permissions and settings seemed to work on a cifs mount.  The cifs and the nautilus browser mounts are qualitatively different and apparently use a different code base. 

But Avimark to the rescue (in just a bit) 

first .. I mounted the Windows7 server share with this line added to my /etc/.fstab configuration (the config file that tells linux what to connect to at boot time.

//tserver/avimark /home/jtw/mnt cifs rw,user=jtw,password=mywindowspassword,uid=1000,cache=strict,rsize=131007 0 0

/tserver/avimark  is the network path to the server

/home/jtw/mnt  is where I'm putting the connection (mount) on the linux client

cifs is the file system type   uid gives my local user permission  cache=strict dictates the caching behavior trying to mesh linux and windows rsize=131007 maxes out the blocksize that can be read across the network. 

Navigate to /home/jtw/mnt on the client

invoke wine avimark.exe from a terminal command line..and....it fails... Cant read the indexes at startup and says there is a lock on them...   sooooooooo

Start up the Avimark guardian/server stuff on the server.

navigate to /home/jtw/mnt on the client

invoke wine avimark.exe /connect and connect to avimark server.... and MAGIC HAPPENS!!!!

Now I can finally configure a linux client to load the server directory at boot, and create a desktop icon that will invoke a script that navigates to the /home/jtw/mnt and invokes wine avimark.exe /connect.. 

So as I suspected avimark server does more than just load bigger blocks of data... It controls a lot of the cacheing/ oplock crap locally and brokers communication better, so that all the parts of avimark that failed me before, now work


Appointment book and whiteboard have been the hangup/ sticking point in this scenario... 


3 comments:

  1. Hey! I ran AVImark under Wine the other day. I was pleased with how easy it was to get it going in client/server mode.

    I was wondering how/if you were able to achieve Office/OpenOffice integration.

    Also, do the buttons on your toolbar look strange?

    I was glad Wine integration with CUPS was so strong; it made printing very easy to the plethora of Dymo's around the office, connected to thin-clients and workstations.

    Have you done any experimentation with LTSP? If not, I highly recommend it. We've been able to repurpose almost all of the old XP desktops, if they are able to PXE boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For open office or libre office (both work) you need to install the Windows version in Wine.. Makes sense since wine is in effect a mini windows environment.. the com calls go from windows to windows. you cant call the linux copy of office out of the windows environment. Install the libre, and your favorite graphics program, and a pdf reader.. all the windows versions by using the poorly named ..."Uninstall wine software utility that comes with wine. I am using x11rdp to run my rdp sessions. I set up the system using the script from Kevin Cave's scarygliders.net x11rdp-o-matic It does all the compiling, library checking etc for you so you can have multiple gui sessions served up rdp for you. It doesn't do the net boot thing for the thin clients, but we click on an icon to start the session and it's no hardship. Been using this almost 2 years now, and if you don't approach max memory use, it has been very stable. I now have 20 gig on my server serving about 14 sessions and my pacs on a virtual machine. I don't think my toolbar looks that strange.. maybe slightly different. You should put your graphics mode on "emulate a desktop" in the wine config utility for best behavior of the avimark windows.. avimark does some funky things with window management.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you caught the "turn off the live spell check" tip as well.. Keeps text visible in some of the avimark sub windows.. they are doing some kind of funky screen grab/write that wine doesn't like.

    ReplyDelete