Friday, May 10, 2013

My apologies to ncomputing

The  ncomputing terminals kept logging out or hanging on their own neccesitating restarts to resolve it all.

The problem turned out to be network issues unrelated to ncomputing.  Mediacom's dns server addresses once again exposed my network to a non local .local domain.  The principal trouble that causes with ubuntu in a multi user setting is the ongoing resolution of the printers under CUPS.   I had one computer on the network that had been set long ago to a fixed ip address and fixed dns server addresses that were different from the rest of the network.  Go looking for printers attached to that one, and it was periodic choke time.  

I set everything to a public dns server address, and the printing issues went away completely, along with the network instability that was kicking off the ncomputing devices.   End result has been tremendous stability.

Looks like I am in this for the long haul now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment